Personally, if I were to install a deck in my own backyard I would use Ipe decking or another brazilian hardwood. Ipe is a dark wood that requires regular maintenance just like other woods although its known to stand the test of time.
Here are a few facts:
- The U.S. Forest Service has determined that Ipe wood has a projected life of 45+ years (highest rating).
- Ipe is the most dense and heaviest lumber I’ve installed and needs to be cut with extremely sharp blades.
- Ipe has a class 1 fire rating.
- Extremely weather and bug resistant.
- So dense it doesn’t float!
Although remember, Ipe does need to be treated every year with a light powerwash, light sanding and a quick coat of specific oil (I recommend Cabo Australian Timber Oil) that is especially made for dense woods. The price of this lumber typically runs parallel to composite decking.
With good care and maintenance- you could have a deck that looks like this: